Friday, October 01, 2004

The Debate: Part Two

Here is a short quote from George W Bush from last night's debate where he discusses the issue of the International Criminal Court. It is startling to read between the lines on his reasoning for not joining. Note the section in bold...

My opponent talks about me not signing certain treaties. Let me tell you one thing I didn't sign, and I think it shows the difference of our opinion -- the difference of opinions.

And that is, I wouldn't join the International Criminal Court. It's a body based in The Hague where unaccountable judges and prosecutors can pull our troops or diplomats up for trial. And I wouldn't join it. And I understand that in certain capitals around the world that that wasn't a popular move. But it's the right move not to join a foreign court that could -- where our people could be prosecuted.

My opponent is for joining the International Criminal Court. I just think trying to be popular, kind of, in the global sense, if it's not in our best interest makes no sense. I'm interested in working with our nations and do a lot of it. But I'm not going to make decisions that I think are wrong for America.


Not only does that sentence not make any sense grammatically, but it devastates Bush's claim of being a peace keeping nation. How? Well, why would the US want to be popular in the "global sense" if "it's not in (their) best interest(s)"? I haven't heard this stated any better since I heard Noam Chomsky speak at the Orpheum. The only reason the States will go and do something is if there is some benefit to them. Is this wrong? No, of course not. Every country does this. The point is, let's cut through the bull and be honest when we talk about foreign policy. Let's look at what the US stands to gain from having a permanent military presance in Iraq.

I think it begins with the letter O...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I talk too much, anonymous.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home